I'm an award-winning curator, writer, and digital team leader with a proven record of creating innovative storytelling experiences in museum, mission-driven media, and university contexts. I've worked in museums, ethnic media, the alternative press, and public media, and at universities. What unites those diverse contexts has been my ability to match the right digital tools to the right organization. I am also keenly interested in how these tools can advance the goals of organizations working in ethical service of a specific audience or idea.
As Associate Curator for Digital Presentation at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, I am currently the lead curator, producer, writer/editor, and product manager for the museum's site and app. In that capacity, I have created a wide-ranging digital program that weaves together in-gallery augmented reality, web content, location-based experiences, bespoke digital product development, archival materials, and original multimedia (audio, photography, and video). I craft these elements in close collaboration with our exhibition curators and education team to ensure they meaningfully enhance the in-gallery experience and project the museum's vision beyond the physical plant in faithful-but-novel ways.
Previous to my work the Academy Museum, I built or rebuilt some of the most important Black sites on the web: AOL Black Voices (the #2 Black site during my tenure), Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s Africana.com (the leading Black commentary and opinion site during my tenure), and BlackPlanet.com (the #1 Black site and a global top 50 web property during my tenure). More recently, I completely revamped the digital platforms of KCETLink (then the nation's largest independent public broadcaster), the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, and the California African American Museum.
I've also been privileged to work as a film and culture writer for two decades, appearing in Bidoun, Artforum, Interview, The Root, The Village Voice, Vibe Magazine, and other venues. These varied experiences have given me a deep understanding of how to tell immersive, people-centered stories across multiple platforms and mediums. Let's explore how I can help you better serve the people and ideas that matter to you.
What I will bring to your project:
- 15+ years of progressive editorial and product management experience at the director level and above
- Proven experience managing complex projects, large staffs, and 7-figure budgets
- A long record of developing products for diverse audiences
- Demonstrated success shepherding organizations through internal and external digital transitions
- A commitment to building mission-based and service-minded products
- A keen appreciation for user-centered design and product management methodologies
- A deep bench of editorial, design and technical collaborators
- Multi-modal skill set blending curatorial, journalistic, educational, and product-centered approaches
- A point of view