I’m an award-winning writer, editor, and product manager with deep experience managing large digital teams. I've worked in ethnic media, the alternative press, and public media, at universities and for museums. What unites those diverse contexts has been my ability to match the right digital tools to the right organization. I am also keenly interested in how these tools can advance the goals of organizations working in ethical service of a specific audience or idea.
I built or rebuilt some of the most important Black sites on the web: AOL Black Voices (the #2 Black site during my tenure), Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s Africana.com (the leading Black commentary and opinion site during my tenure), and BlackPlanet.com (the #1 Black site and a global top 50 web property during my tenure). More recently, I completely revamped the digital platforms of KCETLink (then the nation's largest independent public broadcaster), the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, and the California African American Museum.
My consultancy focuses on helping mission-based organizations develop digital content management, editorial, and community strategies that are not just effective but fully reflective of those organizations' values. In that capacity, I've worked with the USC Race and Equity Center, the ACLU of Southern California, NPR West, Bidoun Projects, the Clarion West Foundation, The Root.com, and others.
I got my start as a film writer for the Village Voice, and have continued to work as a critic and essayist for national and international publications.
This varied background has given me a unique, 360-degree appreciation for the challenges facing mission-based organizations, as well as profound excitement about their unique advantages. Let's explore how I can help you better serve the people and ideas that matter to you.
What I will bring to your project:
- 15+ years of progressive editorial and product management experience at the director level and above
- Proven experience managing complex projects, large staffs, and 7-figure budgets
- A long record of developing products for diverse audiences
- Demonstrated success shepherding organizations through internal and external digital transitions
- A commitment to building mission-based and service-minded products
- A keen appreciation for user-centered design and product management methodologies
- A deep bench of editorial, design and technical collaborators
- A point of view